The sooner you report suspicious activity on your account, the faster STAR, other institutions and the authorities can take steps to assist you. If you become a victim of fraud, take action immediately.
If you think that you may have compromised your personal or financial information and are a possible victim of identity theft:
- Contact our Customer Solutions team immediately. Ask to have your account numbers, PINs, login IDs and passwords changed.
- Review your financial account statements and recent transaction histories to determine suspicious activities, including STAR and other financial companies.
- Call any other financial company you deal with and make them aware of the situation.
- Call your credit card companies and ask that access to your accounts be restricted or closed. Open new accounts if necessary.
- If checks are missing from your check book, issue stop payments on each check.
- If your driver's license is missing, contact your local Bureau of Motor Vehicles office.
- If your Social Security card is missing, contact the Social Security Administration at (800) 772-1213.
- File a report with your local police department and obtain a copy for your records.
- File an Identity Theft Affidavit . This is a voluntary form for filing a report with law enforcement, and disputes with credit reporting agencies and creditors about theft-related problems.
- In detail, document when and what happened and to whom you spoke including dates and times.
If you have received or responded to a phishing scam follow these steps to minimize potential damage.
- If you provided any information in reply to the scam, immediately change any usernames and passwords, and contact any financial institutions if you provided your banking information.
- If you believe your services our accounts with STAR are affected, contact our Customer Solutions team immediately.
- If the phishing email was presented as if it was from STAR please forward the email to email@example.com so we can investigate the source and try to prevent further attempts.