The sooner you report suspicious activity on your account, the faster STAR, other institutions and the authorities can take steps to assist you. If you become a victim of fraud, take action immediately.
If you think that you may have compromised your personal or financial information and are a possible victim of identity theft:
- Call STAR Customer Solutions at (888) 395-2447 immediately. Ask to have your account numbers, PINs, login IDs and passwords changed.
- Review your financial account statements and recent transaction histories to determine suspicious activities, including STAR and other financial companies.
- Call any other financial company you deal with and make them aware of the situation.
- Call your credit card companies and ask that access to your accounts be restricted or closed. Open new accounts if necessary.
- If checks are missing from your check book, issue stop payments on each check.
- If your driver's license is missing, contact your local Bureau of Motor Vehicles office.
- If your Social Security card is missing, contact the Social Security Administration at (800) 772-1213.
- File a report with your local police department and obtain a copy for your records.
- File an Identity Theft Affidavit . This is a voluntary form for filing a report with law enforcement, and disputes with credit reporting agencies and creditors about theft-related problems.
- In detail, document when and what happened and to whom you spoke including dates and times.
If you suspect you've responded to a phishing scam with personal or financial information or entered this information into a fraudulent web site, take these steps immediately to minimize any damage.
Instructions for Reporting a Phishing E-mail:
- Create a new e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and copy: email@example.com .
- Click on INSERT at the top of the menu bar, then ATTACH ITEM. Select the phishing e-mail from the drop down list and then select OK. Enter information in the body of the message for contacting you. Then hit the SEND button.
- Do not use "forward" if you can help it, as this approach loses information and requires more manual processing. The exception is when you use the web interface to Outlook: in that case, forward is the only solution. In addition, please contact the STAR Customer Solutions at (888) 395-2447.